Back to top

Help Guide to Benefits, Payroll and Human Resources


  • It is best to contact all of these departments using email. If you choose to contact these offices by phone or in person follow up with an email that summarizes what was discussed and decided.

  • All BUSD emails are For example,

  • Be sure to KEEP A COPY of any correspondence or forms you turn in to any of these offices. When submitting documents to BUSD, we recommend that you deliver ALL DOCUMENTS to BUSD as a scan into an email.


If you suspect an error (i.e. incorrect stipend amount, incorrect calculation, incorrect deductions, FSA,, retirement, etc.,) please email  If no one contacts you in a timely manner, please follow these procedures:

1) Contact your Payroll Specialist:

2) If you report your paycheck problem to your payroll specialist listed above and receive no response in a few days or the problem continues unresolved, email Payroll and Benefits Manager Jozlyn Shirley at and include:  

  1. Your name and school site
  2. A short written description of the problem
  3. The date(s) you contacted your Payroll Specialist and their response.

3) If your underpayment remains unresolved, please contact BFT at with the same information listed above in #2. Contractually, the District has 5 days to correct an underpayment.


The Benefits office handles all matters related to medical, dental and visual (VSP) insurance, in addition to the life insurance all BUSD employees receive and the Employee Assistance Program.  If you believe your benefits deductions are incorrect on your paycheck, or you have a question about your benefits you should schedule an appointment: 

If you do not get a resolution to your question or concern please send an email to the Payroll and Benefits Manager, Jozlyn Shirley at with a cc to If you talk to a Benefits Specialist in person, be sure to follow up with an email summarizing the discussion.   


If you have a question or concern regarding Workers’ Compensation Insurance contact Senior Workers’ Compensation Specialist, Michelle Payton at  If you talk to Michelle Payton in person, follow up with an email summarizing the discussion. You can also find Workers’ Compensation procedures information on the BUSD website. If you do not get a reply to your email, contact Assistant Superintendent of  Business Services Pauline Follansbee and cc


Contact if you have a question or concern about:

  • Your FTE
  • Your status (Temporary, Probationary I, Probationary II, etc.)
  • Resigning
  • Your step and column, moving column on salary schedule
  • Your Employee Information Verification form
  • ​Submitting transcripts for new courses you have completed
  • ​Change of Address, Phone or Name

Report any changes to your demographics (address, name, emergency contact, phone number, etc.), through the employee portal:


If you are requesting a leave of absence, including medical or child-rearing leaves, fill out a Leave of Absence Request form through InformedK12. If you have any questions, please email Lona Kelly at You can find an FAQ about Leaves of Absences on our BFT website.


If you believe your Column is incorrect, complete a Balance Inquiry form. If you believe your Step is incorrect contact Betty James at You should also be able to see your step and column through the employee portal:


In order to move along the salary schedule, you must turn in inservice credits and/or official transcripts. For more information visit BFT HERE.


If you have a question related to STRS you should contact Nestor Aliga at Some reporting issues may also need to be researched by the Payroll Manager, Jozlyn Shirley,


View leave balances through the employee portal: Leave balances printed on your paystub are usually about a month behind. If you have a question about your sick leave balance email Paisley Dews, If you do not get resolution to your question email, with a cc to If Adult School Teachers have questions about leaves balances, email Mildred Scherr.

Updated 06-2024